Your Tax Form Checklist

Tax Prep & Filing

Your Tax Form Checklist

Make sure you receive all the forms you'll need this filing season.

You should already have the forms you'll need to file your tax return. Employers, lenders and brokers had until January 31 to send the paperwork. Here's a review of what you may have received and how to handle missing or incorrect documents.

Most likely, you know what forms to expect. But if you started investing, bought your first home, started receiving retirement benefits or experienced some other financial change, you might not be familiar with the documents or what to do if they don't arrive on time.

SEE OUR LIST OF TAX FORMS you need this filing season. You also can refer to IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, to get more information about these forms.

Once you get all your statements, here are the forms you'll need to file your tax return.


If a form is incorrect or doesn't arrive

If you receive a statement with incorrect information, call the telephone number or write the sender using the address on the form. You should receive a new form marked "Corrected."

Let your employer, broker or lender know if you failed to receive your statements by January 31. If you still haven't received a form by February 15, get the IRS involved, says IRS spokeswoman Nancy Mathis.

If you're missing a W-2 form, call 800-829-1040 or visit an IRS office and be prepared to provide the following information: your name, address, telephone number and social security number, your employer's name, address, telephone number, employer identification number and an estimate of the wages you earned.

An IRS agent will submit a complaint, Form 4598, to the person or organization that has failed to send you a form and send a copy of the complaint to you. You'll get a Form 4852, Substitute for a Missing Form W-2, you can file with your tax return.

If you didn't receive a 1099, 1098 or other form by February 15, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for help.

If you've a forgotten about a form and mailed in tax return, you can correct the mistake. File a Form 1040X to report income that wasn't reported and take credit for income tax withheld.